It’s often the little things we overlook when it comes to beauty. We tend to go for the most expensive store products or the most popular buys. But did you know that there is magic in one ingredient in your cupboard, like using rice water for hair growth?
For centuries rice was used as a beauty treatment in both hair and skin, and in many Eastern Countries, rice water has been used for its healing and nourishing perks. Because of its beneficial properties such as containing vitamins and minerals like amino acids, vitamin E, and antioxidants.
These beneficial properties, among others, are what made rice so popular in the beauty community, and that popularity increased when it was discovered that rice water can aid in hair growth. So, I decided to put the famous home remedy to the test on my curly hair.
Before I reveal my results, I want to dive into what rice water is and its general advantages and disadvantages.
Keep in mind that hair growth is a process and there is no magical tool that can instantly grow your hair, however, rice water can help speed up that process.
What is rice water and how does it work?
Rice water is the starchy water obtained after the rice is left to soak and ferment for 2-3 days. It is known to make the hair smooth, shiny, and more importantly, it helps with hair growth.
After fermentation takes place the water will be filled with vitamins and minerals that can keep the follicles on your scalp healthy. These follicles help your hair look more healthy, shiny, and thick.
What are the advantages of using rice water?
Rice water has many benefits for your hair such as:
- It helps remove dandruff
- Strengthens your strands
- Stimulates hair growth
- Leaves your hair smooth and shiny
- It also contains vitamin B, C and E. These vitamins can increase hair growth.
The health of your hair is more important than the length, so it’s always important to consider both the advantages and disadvantages when trying and using new products and or methods.
What are the disadvantages of using rice water?
Rice water is best known for its advantages, however, there are some disadvantages to using it.
Disadvantages of using rice water:
- Old rice water can leave your hair feeling stiff and looking dull.
- Rice water contains proteins and overusing it can lead to protein overload. This could leave your hair looking brittle and dry.
Remember the health of your hair is more important than the length.
I put rice water to the test over the course of a month.
After my first wash, I found that the water left my hair feeling and looking extremely dry. Upon further research, I discovered that I went through a protein overload because my hair had more protein and not enough moisture.
A protein overload is when the protein and moisture in your hair is unbalanced. This causes your hair to feel extremely dry and brittle and leaves it more prone to breakage.
I stopped using the rice water for a few months and tried it again. The second time I found that it left my hair feeling smooth and shiny, I haven’t experienced any major growth as yet but with moderate and consistent use I hope to see more results.
How to prepare rice water?
Here is a simple step-by-step on how I prepared my rice water in less than 5 minutes.
- Essential oils (optional)
- Oranges (optional)
What you need:
- Glass bottle with a lid that seals tightly
- Place 1/5 cup of rice into a bowl
- Rinse the rice well, making sure to get rid of the milky water
- Place the rice into the glass bottle
- Fill the bottle with 2 cups of clean water
- Add essential oils or oranges to increase the benefits of the water (optional )
- Seal the bottle tightly and place in a dark corner.
- Leave the rice water to ferment, for 1-2 days.
The longer you leave the rice water to ferment the stronger the concentration. Remember to increase the life span by placing the water into the fridge.
How to use rice water
- wash hair with shampoo
- rinse thoroughly with water from the tap
- pour rice water onto their hair
- massage the rice water into the hair and scalp
- leave on for up to 20 minutes
- rinse hair thoroughly using warm water from the tap